View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2019, 10:55 am   #29
red16v
Heptode

Default Re: True "Cinemascope" TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubhead View Post
They don't broadcast in 16.9 either. What they do is broadcast in 4.3 with anamorphic. The picture when transmitted has a wide signal attached which stretches the image to fit your wide TV.
They could do that with 21.9 too. But the 16:9 TV would have to add black bars to fit the new picture.
If not in 16:9 A then they add the black bars to the TV signal, so they are part of the picture. One of the reasons the Philips set didn't catch on was due to the fact that the TV was zooming in on a 21.9 picture to get rid of the bands. Thus resulting in a loss of picture quality.

As I write this I am watching on a 21.9 monitor by LG and they are very good. Not just for games, which I don't use, but for other work too. Such as DTP. Where you can get two bits of text block side by side, which I couldn't on a 16:9 monitor. Not without scrolling!

The DVD's in 21:9 do have a lot of "grain" on them. A bit like watching SD TV on a big screen TV. Caused by the zoom effect.
I think you're referring to the early days of 625 PAL widescreen in the UK when we did transmit widescreen anamorphically as required and signalled*. These days signals are originated and transmitted in 1080 HD which is native 16:9.

* We had Ikegami studio cameras. When you switched the camera between the two different aspect ratios you could actually hear a very small supplementary lens being switched into the optical path of the camera if you put your ear up very close to the lens package in front of the camera. This additional lens compressed the image horizontally before it arrived at the camera's CCD sensor if it was required to work in 16:9.