View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2019, 10:00 am   #75
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: 1938 Murphy A56V television restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by draenog View Post
I used an old tuna tin which I heated up on the stove. It took a lot of experience to judge exactly when to take the tin off (wax at the right temperature to get a coating of the right thickness). You then had a short time to get the capacitor done before the wax was too cold. One time I put the tin back on and forgot about it and it caught fire (tall flames and lots of smoke)...
I started re-stuffing wax paper capacitors back in the 1970's. Also re-painting resistors with body-tip-spot color coding and re-wiring sets with fabric wire. I got a lot of very odd looks from other technicians back then.

Over the years I found the ideal method for wax-paper caps was to heat them in an oven until the wax just melted. Then pull and or push the innards out. The trick then is to wipe the paper tubes down with a paper towel, that absorbs the dirty melted wax.

On fitting the new caps inside, fibreglass tape is used to build up their diameter, to a push fit in the sleeve. Then, on alternate days, polyester resin (the type that uses a catylast) is poured into each end. This has an opaque look to it, somewhat like wax, but won't melt or attract dust (Photo of some from a TV restoration attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caps.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	178010