View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 1:30 am   #54
Catkins
Pentode

Default Re: 1938 Murphy A56V television restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
Very nostalgic that, body end and spot resistors and components you can sometimes actually repair. You have done an excellent job there.

I wonder how much it would cost to make components like that now.
Thanks for your comment. I try to repair as much as I can in these sets to keep as much originality and look as possible. It is nice that so many of these components can be stripped down and repaired - that is even after 80 years and corrosion they're still repairable.

Today after many years of cost cutting, it is simply not possible to strip components down, even if you try, they usually fall apart. I doubt much of today's electronics will be repairable in 20 years, let alone 80.

Of course in conjunction with the lack of repairability of single components, is the pull out the unit, and put in a new one, style of servicing. You're not even supposed to try and repair single components.

This is not a new phenomenon. I was repairing a 1970s VT100 computer terminal, and there was fault in the power-supply. The "service manual" simply said replace the entire board. No much use, but, it was easy enough to track the fault down to the exact component.

I fully expect, if we ever end up in an end of civilization dystopia, everything made in the last 40 years will end up in the scrapheap, and we'll be getting all the designed to be repairable stuff out of museums. A sad critique on our throwaway culture.