View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 9:13 pm   #1
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Default Bush VTR 265 Transistor radio

This set was a 25p purchase last year at the local car boot. A Taiwanese manufactured set, I thought it would give me an insight of what happened to Bush by the 1970's.

The set worked fine on FM but LW was largely non existent and MW a bit lacklustre. FM however was excellent and the set worked well on a mains supply. The dial has the red and blue BBC radio stickers and a curious second dial pointer made from white wire wound around the red pointer. A holiday to a coastal holiday cottage in Essex gave me an excuse to service this little set; (SWMBO might object if I took my Murphy TV...).

Upon opening the back the cause was down to to the ferrite aerial rod being broken into 3 pieces, probably from the set being dropped in the past. Strangely I never noticed the rattle of fragments inside the case. I glued the 3 pieces back together with Loctite and MW and LW performance was restored, with RTE Radio received on LW and Radio Caroline on MW.

A few basic checks found all other electronics looking OK including the caps around the mains rectifier. The build quality is OK with only a few pieces of trim to be glued back down.

I left the stickers and the custom pointer in place as it is part of the history of this quite interesting little set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190819_002.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	188736   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190822_004.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	188737   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190822_001.jpg
Views:	192