Thread: Eddystone 840C
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2019, 6:30 pm   #26
defender
Pentode

Default Re: Eddystone 840C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Those red/black plastic cased electrolytics were made by Plessey and are well known on this forum. Most people have them on their 'replace on sight' hitlist They are well past their known probable lifespan.

You also have a number of Hunts' paper capacitors in that photo, and they are now well past their reliable period.

You may want to consider a pre-emptive strike. It depends on how reliable you want the receiver to be. I'd do the Plessey electrolytics anyway. They've probably dried out by now and the old set will sound better with its bass back.
The plessey caps are marked for the hit list G6TANUKI warned me about them taking a valve out.
I'm going to start by replacing the main ones that can do damage and the ones that will obviously be bad and then plug it in.
I have a US converter transformer that might act as an isolation transformer so I might use that and set the jumper to 110v not sure if its beefy enough though as I don't know how many amps it will take but it has 2 500ma fuses in the mains so it cant be a lot.
Checked it and its got 1 500ma and one 3a fuse in it
I'm planning to lamp limit it too.