View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 12:18 am   #43
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Gorilla Glue: your experiences & opinions

I've now completed my experiments with the type of Gorilla Glue (GG) which I have previously mentioned. For a general adhesive for wood - usually PSE pine or redwood - I have always used PVA. So my experiments were a comparison of those two adhesives. I made two samples of a halving joint, X-shaped, using pine. In summary, my conclusions are as follows:

1. In terms of 'retaining strength' - i.e. how easy / difficult it was to pull the joint apart by hand, PVA won easily; the GG was weak in comparison. Both test samples were left for 48 hours for the respective adhesive to cure, prior to that test.
2. In terms of removing excess glue that has squeezed out of the joint - when the glue has not set, the PVA was easily superior to GG. OTOH, once the glue had set, to remove excess glue, there was no clear advantage of one adhesive over the other.
3. In terms of ease of removing excess glue (prior to it setting) from hand and clothing, PVA was very much the clear winner.
4. In terms of anticipated shelf life (including taking necessary precautions to maximize shelf life). PVA was preferable. This is based on the stated requirement with GG that the remaining air in the bottle must be squeezed out, prior to refitting the cap on the bottle's nozzle. Remarks in above posts (plus those read elsewhere) imply that if that is not done, the GG will self-cure in the bottle, thus rendering remaining adhesive useless. OTOH, yes, PVA will eventually become thick and difficult to use, but over a much longer time period - typically several months: much longer of kept in a container with a tight, well-fitting lid, thus preventing air intrusion. And even if the PVA has become thick, it can have its viscosity easily reduced by the simple expedient of adding tap water and thoroughly mixing it with the thick PVA. I know of no method / product for a similar procedure with GG, but acetone might be successful for that application. (Obviously, acetone is substantially more expensive than tap water!)
5. In terms of cost, £ per cc., PVA is more economical.

So for me, I will continue to use PVA for constructional joinery in softwood.

Al.

Last edited by Skywave; 2nd Nov 2017 at 12:29 am. Reason: Many. Objective: to make post as informative as possible.