View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2017, 11:57 am   #30
John M0GLN
Octode

Default Re: Woodworm damaged cabinets

I have a phobia about woodworm and normally wouldn't buy anything with a hole in it, however at the Golborne Swapmeet a few years ago I saw a nice GEC BC-4652, now this has a Bakelite cabinet and there should be no problems, however I did see some small piles of frass behind the dial glass which could only have come from the loudspeaker mounting board, thinking it would be very easy to make a new one I bought the set, however on dismantling it ( outside in the garden just in case some beetles came flying out, I did say I had a phobia ) I found the board a bit more difficult to make than I thought, the speaker sat in a recess and there were brass inserts in the board to retain it, as the board was not too big I adopted a alternative way to eliminate any pests, I put the board in a roasting bag and then into the kitchen oven and baked it at approx' 100ÂșC for a couple of hours, there were no visible signs of any change to the board, I had wondered about distortion and glue melting but all went OK, I would imagine if anyone had an oven big enough for a cabinet it might be a bit risky with chances of lifting veneers etc.

John