View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2018, 11:22 am   #6
Kentode
Octode

Default Re: Leak troughline ll, first successful restoration.

Now for the case! £15.00 got me a second hand router from the local fleamarket and a trip to B&Q for pine board and a small set of router bits chosen to match the curved edge of the Leak's fascia.

From my local hardware store l bought lots of one-handed clamps, wood glue and clear varnish.

I designed paper templates which I used to fretsaw hardboard jigs which I then pinned to the 18 mm pine board.

Doing it this way meant that the sides and the top and bottom pieces were matching and made glueing up simple - butt the edges up and clamp, and everything is square.

Before assembly l added slots for the proud screws on the chassis and a recess for the metal frame that supports the fascia.

I clamped the case up dry to double check everything fitted - you can't get a big router inside a small case!

After glueing and clamping, I left it to dry for a week and then routed all the outside with a radius cutter (32mm).

Very light sanding and three coats of varnish later, the Leak Troughline ll was finished and presented to SHMBO for final inspection and approval.

It passed!

I hope that this encourages others to have a first go at a restoration. Personally, I haven't stopped since!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	163948   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	163950   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	342