Thread: Small DMM fuses
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2018, 12:34 pm   #7
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Small DMM fuses

Don't worry - you know that I'm a bit of a Fluke fanboy

Unlike some, I would never want to dissuade someone who could afford to buy a Fluke or Keysight from doing so - they are good meters and there are real benefits to owning them. But not everyone can afford or justify buying an expensive meter - which is absolutely fine providing they are aware of the potential risks. As a result, I've made it a sort of mission to try to spread as much information about cheap multimeters as I can, so that folk can make an informed decision about what to buy, and how to use them safely.

Key to this message is understanding that the most important aspect of multimeter safety is the user, not the meter. After all, it's possible to kill yourself while using the safest meter in existence. Indeed, using a meter that has a strong reputation for safety can cause a false sense of security.

The functionality of these cheap meters is astonishing for the money, but I agree that the 10mm fuses don't exactly inspire confidence. Keep them away from high-energy situations and they will be absolutely fine. I use them as much as Flukes and so far, so good