View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2021, 7:36 pm   #17
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: Sourcing a belt for a Nakamichi 480 cassette machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I still use good old CPC for most of my cassette deck restorations. I was pleased to see that most of the belts they sold back in the 1990s when I last stocked up, ARE still available, they're just harder to find now that the huge paper catalogues are no longer issued.

For info, the flat ones are stock codes AVBELT1 to AVBELT55, the square ones AVBELT56 to AVBELT134.

I am also pleased to report that all of my 1990s stock of belts from CPC still seem to be elastic and supple, none having gone slack or gooey.

That's useful to know that they do indeed sell these, but maybe they'll be stuck with a lot of their stock as long as we've had some previously ordered spares, if they can't be found very easily.
And this could become a problem for many warehouse-shop distributors in future, with the demise of most paper catalogues where you could just flick through and see exactly their full range in one place (But browsing through one the size of CPC's could take quite a long time!)

Although CPC do still have a link on many items to a numbered Catalogue page with on-screen view of these. So I wasn't certain if they had finally stopped producing or printing this.
- They went through a phase of only supplying catalogues to full account holders (told me it cost them £10 to produce one back in the 80's when I'd asked for one, and I had to pay £6? for multi-volume Electromail-version of the RS one), to CPC sending them free to anyone, then seemingly reluctant to send more than 1 out even to reasonable large company account holders, so 2009 is last one I've got)

Fortunately not many belts turn to gooey mess - mainly Philips N1500 VCR ones, it seems. And if not under tension, may last longer when unused in storage, if original material composition is OK.