View Single Post
Old 4th May 2021, 12:25 am   #1
Timbucus
Octode

Default Heathkit Computers and the UK especially H8

I have alluded on some other threads that I may have picked up a major restoration project. I am going to post this as a quick update here and a plea for some opinions and help from the extensive knowledge here.

Here is the recent acquisition:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5202.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	233211

- you can see why I have been a bit preoccupied the last week or two and have not built my SOFTY/INS8073 up or repaired my BBC yet.

Anyway - I do now have a very basic three card H8 running checking out 8K of RAM as OK. The H9 (terminal) and the H17 (disk drive) have some significant faults - this is one of the drives for example:

Name:	IMG_5231.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	233213

So did the H8 itself but, that is a tale I may expand on in the thread - Many Tantalums, Cleaning and reseating chips, replacing many LS240, RAM fault - etc.

My main ask though is if anyone remembers seeing these advertised anywhere in the UK Electronics and Computing press - I was sort of vaguely aware of the Heath company and perhaps these machines in the late 70's but not sure how. I have come up short on much material that could explain how this unit was purchased and built by someone in the Monmouth area - the single disk it came with is dated 1979 so I would assume that it was not built all in one go (the chips on the H8 are all 1978) so it was around then it was constructed - and very well I will say.

Name:	IMG_5215.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	233212

All the units have a lot of chip leg rot and rusty parts so this will be a long job.