View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2017, 3:38 pm   #3
jjl
Octode

Default Re: Wanting Quantel photos & stories etc

Not sure how useful this will be to you, but here goes.

I worked at Solid State Logic (SSL) near Oxford from 1988 to '89, at the time SSL and Quantel were both part of the UEI group and several Quantel people were seconded to SSL.

I was working on a hard-disk based digital audio editing system known as O1, the project had been started a couple of years earlier and in the summer of 1988 most of the engineering team left or were poached by another company. I was part of a team tasked with finishing off O1 and making it a saleable product.

The people who originally came from Quantel were also working on a digital audio editing system that was initially known as HarrySound as it was intended to be a companion product to the Harry video editing system. This later became the ScreenSound product.

The O1 project "borrowed" some software development tools and other items from Quantel. I had to port a real-time operating system that Quantel developed in-house to the O1 system that was 68000 based but of a somewhat different hardware design to what I believe was a design used in several Quantel products, also 68000 based.

I left SSL around August 1989 and the O1 was cancelled around the start of 1990.

John