View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2017, 5:30 pm   #22
Bonky28
Triode

Default Re: Hacker Radio:Motorboating - RP25

Update:
1. I've re-cleaned the 5-pin plug contacts and inspected for dry joints. No change.
2. I delved deeper into the I.F.amp (502) and saw that the 2 screws holding it in place were missing. These effectively earth this board and other boards. The motor boating has now stopped BUT I cannot tune into any LW or MW stations
3.Just as worrying is the following: I tested the quiescent current of the amp board (205).

Now I hope I did it correctly: (Snipped the test link; bridged contact 4 and 5 on the female side of the 5 pin socket and reconnected the 5 pin lead. Connected my simple Maplins type multimeter (set to mA) between one of the battery terminals and the power lead. It should read 3mA. Mine: 17.5mA for FM and 8.28 mA on AM, BUT this was before I had properly earthed the IF board as described above. The new readings after this mod were: FM:17.4 mA; AM 14.2 mA).
I suspect a leaky capacitor on the AM side -but all the electrolytic ones appear to have been changed (and orientated correctly).

Please has anyone any ideas?

AND

If I cannot mend it does anyone live in or near Sheffield who could do it for me (at a price of course)?
Thanks,
Richard.

Last edited by Bonky28; 10th Oct 2017 at 5:52 pm.