View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2019, 6:47 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Kolster-Brandes MR10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
With a 1 amp fuse in a three pin plug I'm reading about 35Ω across the LIVE and NEUTRAL pins with the set switched-on but not plugged in of course - Service Sheet states that this should be 32Ω. No reading when the set is switched-off and still not plugged in of course. This means that the two pole mains switch is working and the Mains Transformer Primary winding is good.
I think that means that the mains transformer primary is _probably_ good (you would not detect a few shorted turns with an ohmmeter reading but such shorts will cause the transformer to draw excessive current and overheat if not worse) and that the switch is closing on both poles when 'on' and opening _at least one_ pole when 'off'

What you do not know is that both poles of the switch are opening. It would be possible for the pole in the live wire to be stuck closed and the one in the neutral wire to be opening. In which case the transformer primary will be live if the set is swtiched off. Not a major hazard it's true, but if it were my set I'd check the switch a bit more carefully.