View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2023, 11:57 pm   #13
John M1JWR
Pentode

Default Re: Kenwood TS50 faulty.

apologies for not returning sooner, hadent been able to return ts50 to owner until yesterday as his aged mother is very ill, anyway now i have with the info that it is ok at the moment and to have the caps delt with as soon as he can, i do now have the tuner here and hopefully tomorrow i can take pics of the insides as there dosent look anything visably wrong with it so far, i also have his 3900 here, as my very limited level of expertise is limited to certain cybernet boards, i have done some basic checks so far and 1 adjustment, this is as far as i can see a single final output version from 1994 made by crt, somebody has been inside before and turned ssb upto 20w output or a bit more, this is apparently bad for this model as the spec is 12w ssb and 4/5w am/fm, so the adjustment was to put ssb back to around 12w, i noticed am/fm was very low and diddent know until i looked inside for the trimmer that it is connected to s rf pot on the front panel as a variable power out, it is factory and there is a little mark on the front that when lined up is 4w so thats all good, i have reflowed the rv7 joints and one or two others in the area, havent done a readjust on vr7 as yet,noted in your comment, i have also read that vr's in these radios can go duff over time, i can possibly replace it with one out of the scrap 121 chassis as those are the same value as a get by for now