View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2023, 1:15 am   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Kenwood ts50 faulty

Very strange, a ghost fault. Given the complexity of those things I would be happy that it still seems to work, but burnt things rarely heal themselves so the smoke had to come from something.

If there is still a fault there, no doubt it will make itself known sooner or later.

All this talk of leaking SMD caps has me a little bit worried about mine, I should probably have a scoot around because it would be a pity to lose it. I have both of the ATUs for mine, it came with the longwire one (AT300?) and at the first rally I went to after I had acquired it, I happened to spot the coaxial ATU (AT-50?) very cheap on a bring and buy. Apart from a blown internal fuse there was nothing wrong with it.

I used my TS50 a lot during the early years of my A ticket, at the time I was a field engineer driving around for much of the day and I had a full set of those Valor Pro-Am single band aerials. It is still my only multiband HF radio.

For the past 15-20 years or so it has been my main base HF radio but the racket coming out of all the surrounding routers, computers, switch mode PSUs and powerline network adaptors, most of which are not under my control, have made it impossible to listen to HF here now.