View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2018, 11:44 am   #26
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Radiophile Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
The Cowbit venue is not chosen for any sensible commercial reason, nor is it chosen because the venue is fantastically connected to the road networks.

It is the most local Radiophile venue for me, so a shame that the support for this event has dwindled as much as it has.

Quite simply, Chas and Jo take their holidays quite close to Cowbit, and they like to add an auction at either the start, or end of a few days away.
I understand why it's held at Cowbit Sean - I was responding to your earlier comments in post #6 above, namely:

Quote:
Sadly the situation with volunteers has been ongoing for many years now - I used to be a regular attendee/helper, but if you factor in a whole weekend, 200 mile round trip, and overnight accommodation/meals, then it ceases to be a voluntary effort, and is actually an expensive weekend away. There is a finite number of people that are happy to do this sort of thing, I think it is fair to say that the resource has been depleted. It is quite disheartening to lay out a 400+ lot auction, with lots arriving at sporadic times from 10 am on a Saturday, right through to 1pm on the day of the sale, only to end the sale with a number of unsold lots, and no sight of anyone to take them away.

Your comments in your first paragraph are well made. I was trying to make the point - not as a criticism, but as a simple fact of life - that if an event is staged at such whimsical out-of-the-way location, the difficulties that arise are an inevitable consequence. Hence it's illogical for anyone to bemoan lack of support when that lack of support is self-induced. If few volunteer or attend such events due to the distances involved, then even good quality lots aren't going to attain best prices. If the lots aren't of good quality nor sought after items, then those who've travelled a long way are going to go home disappointed.

I remain puzzled as to why anyone would expect such an event to be well supported by either volunteers or attendees. Having attended two Cowbit events (because we were in Spalding visiting former neighbours, so it wasn't out of my way), it did nothing to diminish my puzzlement. That said, those who have the enthusiasm to arrange and to support the event and all similar events have my admiration.