View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2018, 3:28 am   #28
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Can I use a shaver plug and socket ???

The low-power converters (150W. and less) are simple auto-transformers, and do not generate any appreciable RF interference. The output is a 50Hz. sine wave (as opposed to 60Hz. as would be found in the USA or Canada). Anything with a motor will run at the wrong speed, and some transformers designed for a 60Hz. supply might overheat.

Radios (at any rate, those without clocks or record players) have no motors in them, so there is no speed problem to worry about. Japan used 100-120V. and had frequencies of both 50 and 60Hz. in different regions, so this set -- being of Japanese origin --probably also existed in a version for the Japanese market; and if so, should work O.K. on 50Hz. (It would be uneconomical to make separate transformers just for North America when the Japanese-spec model wluld be so similar; just a slightly bigger bobbin and a few more E's and I's, but potentially disastrous in case of confusion between the two.)

The advantages of using this kind of power supply are, you can keep the existing mains lead and moulded plug; and it won't involve opening the set up and messing with it internally. The converter could also be used for other 120V appliances, within its power rating and subject to the above caveat regarding motors.

Bathroom-type shaver sockets with integral transformers are usually rated 20W., but may not withstand this continuously; they usually have self-resetting thermal cut-outs to prevent overheating.