View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 11:20 am   #24
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Lithium batteries: dangers of low temp charging

Despite the problems of Lithium Ion batteries the vehicle manufacturers seems to have got this covered and my particular Plug in Hybrid says the batteries are useable down to -20C (It doesn't explain what useable means). The batteries have both heating and cooling.
I have been using various EV's at work for 8 years and have been driving my own Plug in Hybrid for my second winter.

Apart from the effects noted by Broadgage (lower range because of the need for cabin heating) it doesn't seem to matter too much although when its around 20C (18-22) ambient the range is at its best and charge times at their lowest. Charging is always tapered on AC the last hour only adds about 15%.

None of this affects the user much if its on charge for an extra half hour on AC. Whether I charge it on DC or various rates of AC the vehicle decides the charge profile.

Typical its 20-25 minutes to 80% on DC and that was unaffected by the lowest temperatures that we have seen so far this winter which for me was -3 but as I had driven to the office the batteries were already warm.

3 to 3.5Hrs AC from cold.
The pure EV's we have at least 5 different manufacturers seem to be similar.
I have tried to stay away from manufacturers names and models to stay on the right side of the ban on discussing Vehicles.

If I have not succeeded apologies.

Cheers

Mike T