Thread: Play For Today
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2020, 7:06 pm   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Play For Today

Abigail was shown on Wednesday. Yes it was an unusual TV Kevin but in my experience it's the play itself that just grips the viewer from the off-stunned and horrified by Beverly perhaps? [post4*] "Period Piece", that was the argument put forward [to my surprise] by the writer and commentator Mark Lawson in Radio Times recently about the plays. He said they were "of their time" and couldn't be done now! Yes they could [and better in a studio] or just filmed in-situ like the amazing Cypress Avenue recorded and broadcast from the Almedia last summer [buried late, mid-week on BBC4 for safety]. These contemporary plays are still being written of course and produced, all round the country now. A lot of London performances take place in a theatrical space that is a room above a pub. Things have moved on technically in half a century. We could all attend via maybe two people and an attache case sized camera set up. It just requires the will

Dave W

[Of course I'm assuming post the Covid Crisis!]

Oh and I forgot to say that Vivaldi is an examination of domestic bliss-no really!

Last edited by dave walsh; 18th Oct 2020 at 7:34 pm.