View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 1:18 am   #5
Dekatron
Octode

Default Re: Teaser on what a new AVO VCM163 meter can look like!

Here's what it looks like on the front panel with some extra LEDs used for the overload circuit, you don't have to add them if you don't want to, they are optional of course.

Now, this is only one of my prototypes but it works as it should even though this one is missing the adjustable scale (I am waiting for some parts in the mail to finish this prototype).

To get the meter to fit properly in the front, without covering any of the text below it, won't be an easy job. You'll either have to cut the Simpson meter case at the back or you'll have to cut the front panel, this as the protruding part housing the movement sits "higher" up on the Simpson meters than on the original ICE meters AVO used, resulting in the bottom edge of the case sitting lower. You can see what it looks like in the second photo with a cut meter housing, it is just possible as the magnet for the movement is somewhat flat on the top and smaller than the housing. You'll have to cover this part with something and I am planning on making some small pieces of thin circuit board that can be soldered to each other and then glued or taped in place. Making the cuts is quite hard as the plastic resembles Bakelite, if it isn't in fact Bakelite - I don't have any information on that right now.

If I can find a broken original ICE meter for the VCM163 I could try to make a kit to mount a Simpson movement inside the original housing but right now I don't have any broken ICE meters for the VCM163 - but if someone would be willing to give me a broken one I could try using that one, I can't guarantee that it will work but will give it my best try.

/Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9072[1].jpg
Views:	162
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	195685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9064[2].jpg
Views:	146
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	195686