Default Re: GILES cartoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post

Neither did I! J.
I don't believe you! As per my diary entry mine had no EHT but I took advice from our local TV repair shop and they gave me the double whammy that the set was TRF and Channel 1 only but I was in Edinburgh (Channel 3)
Hi Peter,

Two things come to mind here.

First, I'm surprised at age 13 you were allowed to "play-around" with televisions by your parents. Hadn't they heard of the dangerous high voltages present in televisions? Especially EHT

Second, how did a Channel 1 television end up in Edinburgh? You don't say where you got it?
Hi Phillip,

My parents were aware of the danger of mains electricity. I doubt that my mother had ever had a belt from the mains but I have no doubt that my father had on a number of occasions and lived to tell the tale. By my mid teens I certainly had experience of quite a number of mains and HT shocks and the odd EHT shock but at that stage I had only had access to flyback generated EHT. I did not possess any mains derived EHT sets until I was 29 years old by which time I had been working in the industry long enough to understand the dangers.

I was given the London area set by a school friend. I don't know how he acquired it. It's possible that his parents had moved from London to Edinburgh with all their possessions not realising that the TV set would not receive the local transmissions. I was given it in 1963 by which time it was quite an old set and of little value even if it had been fully working. In fact it was stone dead quite apart from being unable to receive if it had been working.

Peter