View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2019, 4:55 pm   #10
Luxman1050
Octode

Default Re: Philips BX281U20 valve radio

I don't think it will be okay but it was obviously used at that rating and there does not seem to be any evidence of overheating. That's all I have to go on.
Not sure about the aerial business as that's all new to me not come across caps straight on to the aerial connector. I've also noticed that I think there should be an additional wire from aerial going to ground as the picture posted if you look far left towards far back a wire is missing on that screw terminal. On other sets I've looked at there seems to be 3 wires but only two caps. This has 3? One of which the wax has positive terminal as it has two red rings located on cap one end I'm assuming or it means something else. Again not come across this type wax capacitor before usually marked +/- or electrolytic written on it.
Why a snubber here on aerial is it connected to mains or on/off switch again not had chassis out. Odd there is no ground socket for aerial which is what I have so far come across not just one input.
Sorry your right looks like rusty metal but their bakerlite standoffs. Like say I need to pull it out and have a proper look.
I do have service manual but it's in dutch which is not very helpful.
I was going to plug her in the variac but I think I'll have a good look round first.

This unit seems to be more complicated than I first realised.

Still like say if anyone has restored one then pointers in the direction of the aerial would be most helpful and this business of 220v sw0itch but 240v input from mains. Is that green dropper there for that to bring down voltage rating again just plucking things out of the air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190918_163111.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	190443