View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2019, 11:37 am   #5
Luxman1050
Octode

Default Re: Philips BX281U20 valve radio

Thanks guys.
Yes it complete and internally in pretty good condition no leaky caps, overheating signs and all wiring intact and not brittle. Theres also a small transformer which I did not think this model came with unless read literature wrong!

Only thing puzzled me is someone has added an additional wax 0.1uf cap to aerial input!! There's already 2 which is the original spec!!! Maybe caps playing up then added another to get capacitance up don't know.
Not tested it yet got some flex coming today so will re wire and wind here up on the variac.
I have two sheets of glass but the one with the link is spot on with one I have A3219.01 BX281. The other does have a code but all rubbed off plus glass is slightly thicker. The actual glass case it has is sized for one piece of glass so the other may have come off another radio. I'll try and take a better photo of it. Mind you 25 euro seems pretty good price to me. Plus new sheet of glass. Background print is kinda yellow not white.

Now the end suffex on model number there seems there where a few like 0 or 06 etc. the one I have ends in 20. Any ideas on that?
Plus I have not seen any with a case or a case even mentioned and what limited info I have read says it's not portable! Well this would have been.

But if you guys think it's worth the effort of restoration then I'll go ahead.
Think just replace caps all resistors look fine there's one very large power fixed resistors with three separate ohm readings on the windings according to spec sheet which is in Dutch I think ha be fun. Another looks like it has an insulation cloth wrapped round internally not seen that before.

I'll get some pics taken. I also picked up a Murphy a262 so another project. Still keeps me busy as due to I'll health don't get out much.

Although compact there is quite a bit of kit in there.

Thanks again guys.