Thread: VOX AC10 clone
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2018, 8:27 am   #9
retailer
Heptode

Default Re: VOX AC10 clone

The master volume is at the request of No 1 son he seems to think it is needed, I notice that the new Vox hand wired heritage has no master volume, and one of the older hand wired series of AC15 has a master volume but also what looks like a master volume bypass switch, so what you say is probably right I did initially say to him try it first with out a master volume and he did agree but before he picked it up to try it out I went ahead and fitted a master volume even though I wasn't 100% happy about doing this. It was a bit of a hassle as I had to also fit a tremelo speed pot with a push on push off switch to change between vibrato and tremelo. The master volume I fitted was simply a 500k pot wired between the grids of the output valves - turning the volume down shorts them together, this system is used on some of the cheaper printed circuit type Vox amps. It's not the best way to do it but the easiest. I have a small selection of speakers and he is going to fit them one by one to see which one he likes best I'm sure he will also want to try with the master volume removed I would prefer this as I can return the tremelo/vibrato switch back to it's correct location.