View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2018, 11:24 pm   #4
Dual Standard
Hexode

Default Re: Project Omega PCB's.

I too built an Omega transceiver almost 35 years ago (the 1st article appeared in Ham Radio Today around September 1983) but the rig spent most of the time just gathering dust so moved it on some time ago. I did have a spare PCB or two and a spare complete IF module but sold these on too, so sorry I can't help with the PCBs.

There is very little information on the web about the transceiver so before selling the rig I scanned all the paperwork that came with the kits, essentially copies of the articles in Ham Radio Today but with some additional notes plus all the newsletters that Tony mailed out to kit builders. The series ran for many months and the complete zipped PDF file is way too big to attach here but for anyone who has never seen or heard of an Omega here is the first page and a half from the series which explains the plan, lists the modules and has a simple block diagram. Plus a few photos of my completed transceiver.
Note that although both FM and AM boards are mentioned these never appeared due I think to lack of demand, the separate speech processor met the same fate (though to be fair a VOGAD was incorporated in the SSB module) hence the empty holes on the front panel!

These transceivers do appear for sale occasionally, I have seen them both at amateur radio rally's and on Ebay. I am told that they are really excellent for CW but found the filtering rather inadequate for SSB and once I had used a commercial transceiver with dual receivers then there was no going back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170226_g10_IMG_2605.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	167388   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170226_g10_IMG_2608.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	167389   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_g10_IMG_2383.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	167390  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Omega_pg1.pdf (300.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: pdf Omega_pg2.pdf (447.8 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Dual Standard; 11th Aug 2018 at 11:27 pm. Reason: added () for clarity