View Single Post
Old 27th May 2018, 4:21 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Acknowledging replies in 'Repair & restoratiion sections

I [mistakenly] thought the content of my post might have been a "breach" recently [Grundig 210] but when I pm'd a Mod this "suspend" process was courteously explained to me and in fact, it had already gone through anyway! Nothing further from the OP of course [like "thanks" for example!]

However the use of Banners for Beginners or Newcomers might perhaps assist. [I've suggested it myself in the past]. This COULD help people to get to where they want or NEED to be. On the other hand [as Mods have previously pointed out] some OP's seem oblivious to certain types of help whatever you do. Often, they just ask more questions-usually in an opposite directionThey don't seem to "get it!". Maybe they have this in common with [some] Forum members who favour a more or less "open door" policy but it is others, especially the Mods, who have to cope with what seems to be an increasingly fractious problem. Some postings would try the patience of a Saint This may be a little different to
Live Wire's question but I think it's very much re-lated.

I fear that an OP might well do something really ill-advised and dangerous that could have a consequence for everyone here, while the individual disappears! I've been trying to point out aspects of this change in Forum postings for a while as I don't think it's at all equitable. I note that Mods do now seem to try and direct OP's straight to a particular "starter sticky" that is [effectively] a "How To" thread.... right away. You'd expect people to be delighted but rarely does the OP even seem to comment on this and simply carries on as before.

One member wisely pointed out recently that the Form is not an "Instant Fix Resource" [for which I thank him-that's the phrase I was after]. You really have to know the difference first-the technical knowledge is much easier by comparison.

Dave

Mods please feel free to intercept this post for consideration if that helps!

Last edited by dave walsh; 27th May 2018 at 4:37 pm.