View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2012, 1:47 pm   #44
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Valves at BVWS auctions available for "all" members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
I'm not a BVWS member and I don't understand all their workings, but are the auction lots donated? If not, who would put items into a sale that prevented them making their full, financial, potential?
Many of the lots in the auctions are from estate sales... selling the property of deceased collectors (and often BVWS members) on behalf of their relatives. They like the convenience of letting us collect and deal with it all, and receiving a cheque at the end. They generally don't know what they are selling and would probably just end up dumping it all if there wasn't this convenient outlet.

Also sometimes collectors are thinning out their collections, and the priority is primarily the convenience and lack of hassle rather than realising the maximum price. I have used the auctions for this on a few occasions (including the last Wootton Bassett due to a planned move to a smaller flat). Yes I could make more on eBay or on here, but then I'd have to deal with packing and posting, more detailed descriptions and testing etc. There is none of that selling in auction, it's all sold as seen, the buyers take the items away, and I collect the cash at the end of the day.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster