View Single Post
Old 25th May 2020, 11:01 am   #14
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Dialling Code Booklets, your memories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
The big advantage of the Phone Book Companion was that it gave not only the STD codes for the exchanges (listed in alphabetical order), but also provided a translation in the other direction (in numerical order), enabling a code to be identified back to a geographical area. In these days of calls with "spoofed" caller identities, I amuse myself by looking up the codes in these numbers to see whether they equate to real places.
In the absence of anything more useful, My Freepbx uses the data source "UKPhoneInfo UK" in the "Superfecta" module to populate the name field of the CDR and the caller displays, which allows me to answer the phone with "Do I know anyone in Llandrindod Wells?" Or wherever they purport to be.
But CLI numbers no longer really mean anything! I've just sat here in North Wales and dialled out over the PSTN and the number which arrived was an 01595 one - can't get much further away than that!! I can dial out on another one of my lines and an 01320 number gets sent but I'm not beside Loch Ness. With VoIP lines the code gets set out for that number. I can even send out 01xxx number from my mobile as VoIP PSTN numbers are on my mobile. So all isn't what it seems these days

I remember in the early days of free VoIP phone numbers that allowed you to set up your own CLI number and name, two of us set up a couple of numbers - I was 'Fred Flintsone' on Bedrock 26 and the other guy was ' Barny Rubble' on Bedrock 42. We used to ring up another guy to pull his leg. But that has all gone now but was fun at the time