Thread: I’m an idiot!
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2022, 6:07 pm   #34
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: I’m an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetteler View Post

Let's not make too much of it, everyone has 'sub optimal' days!

Steve.

....not helped by too much alcohol and being only 18 at the time! My first 'goof' was one Christmas eve although the problem didn't actually manifest itself until about 6 months later.

My first job at a small family-run business. I was tasked with finding the cause of a frame collapse on a 17" Pye TV. Being Christmas Eve there was a certain amount of urgency to get the last few remaining sets out. Nice easy job, cathode resistor, bypass electrolytic and a new PCL82 and the frame on the Pye Pioneer was restored. The chief engineer tapped me on the shoulder pointing to his watch which indicated lunchtime and a motion to join him down the pub for a traditional Christmas pint...or two. I decided to leave assembling the Pye set until the return from the pub. An hour and a half later with three pints of Youngs Special inside me and a slightly muzzy head, we returned to the workshop to finish off the last couple of sets. It took me no time at all to reassemble the Pye set and a final test showed all was well and it was duly returned to the delighted customer. Fast forward 6 months and the Pye set once again appears in the workshop....different fault of no sound. A quick check proved the customer was right so turned the set off and proceeded to remove the back. As the back came away, there was a clattering sound and a strange whooshing noise as the chassis together with the neck of the tube fell out and dangled on wires....!

The story had a happy ending. The chief engineer who saw the funny side of it, when he had recovered from laughing, set about helping me sort it all out. He also handed me a box of screws which should have gone back in the Pye set on Christmas Eve....! He'd been wondering where they came from for 6 months.....! He found a good tube in a scrap set and I set about fitting it and then sorting out the original fault of no sound (which was another PCL82 and cathode resistor). I made absolutely sure that all screws were fitted this time but it was a 'sobering' experience!