View Single Post
Old 29th May 2019, 11:12 pm   #5
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Auritone 16D8 clock radio

Good result so far. It's always nice when you find a childhood memory electrical item at a car boot sale for a bargain price

Like others, I've had success at removing minor scratches and scuffs from clear plastic using Brasso metal polish. I use liquid Brasso, rub it into the scratched surface with a cloth then let it dry. Then spray on some furniture polish like "Pledge" and use a soft dry cloth to rub off both the dried Brasso and Pledge together. This also works for those clear plastic record player / turntable dust covers.

Usually the vacuum fluorescent display (VFD) clock radios had a blue or green plastic filter fitted to the display which gave it a more intense colour. I wonder if someone removed it from your clock radio in the past? I'm comparing it to the VFD clock radios I have, all of which have an added filter. The "Interstate" one in my post here, has a blue filter: https://vintage-radio.net/forum/show...9&postcount=24

I have a big collection of clock radios, from 1950s valve radios to present day DAB/DAB+ models. Various clock types too, mechanical, electric analogue and electromechanical digital (flip and roll-over digits), electronic display (VFD, LED, LCD with LED backlight) and clock radios combined with other media (cassette recorder, 8-track cartridge player, CD player, TV, SD card, MP3) or AUX input for anything else. Perhaps I should do a post about one or two that I've restored. I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested. Since the 1980s clock radios have been so cheap that people don't usually consider them worth repairing. I'm glad you fixed yours!