View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2019, 4:21 pm   #45
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Traditional Paint Stripper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetteler View Post
Homestrip (available from Toolstation) is far and away the best paint stripper I've ever used. I urge you to give it a try.

It's available from Toolstation.

https://www.toolstation.com/home-str...remover/p70267

This stuff, like other modern strippers, takes a little while but crikey - be patient! It's not as if restoring an old radio is a speedy job!!!!!

Safe to use, kind to the environment and not harmful to your skin.

Steve.
It may be kind to the environment, but some posts in the thread mention other ecological concerns - post 34 for example (fish, bees, butterflies etc). I don't know whether those concerns of kindness to sentient animals extend to rabbits and rats. If so, the safety data sheet for 'Homestrip' might be worth a glance, given that the toxicity tests of the active ingredient (triethyl phosphate) appear to include dermal tests on rabbits and oral/inhalation tests on rats. Here's a clip:

Quote:

SECTION 11 Toxicological information (....) LD50 (oral, rat) (triethyl phosphate) 800 mg/kg LD50 (dermal, rabbit) (triethyl phosphate) 20,000 mg/kg LC50 (inhalation, rat) (triethyl phosphate) 8817 mg/l/4h Based on available data, the classification criteria are not met.

End quote.

Rats as vermin is one thing, but the rats in question aren't vermin - they're lab rats, bred for the purpose of experimentation, followed by dissection to ascertain the effects of toxicity. I thought things had moved on a bit from that.

I'm not lobbying for rabbits and rats - just saying.