Thread: Mellotron!
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2019, 9:05 am   #26
jjl
Octode

Default Re: Mellotron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
I do remember that the first TV show to be dubbed using NECAM D was ‘Blakes 7’- remember that? I particularly admired the patience and stamina of dubbing engineer Malcolm Johnson, who not only had to learn the new system, but cope with various bugs and crashes. NECAM at that time was based on a minicomputer with a pair of 8-inch floppy disc drives storing the real-time data, so the potential for errors was quite exciting!

Martin
I remember Blake's 7 very well; it was one of my favourites when I was 13.

One of Neve's competitors, Solid State Logic were still using Computer Automation Naked Mini computers to automate their VCA based mixing consoles when I left there in '89. There were a couple of aborted attempts to update the "studio computer" to something more modern and capable around my time there.
All software for the Naked Mini based studio computer was written in assembler and the person who maintained it was a very capable but rather irascible engineer who sported the beard and cardigan look. He was of the opinion that high level programming languages would never catch on even though many SSL projects had been using C, C++ and Pascal for several years by that time.

John