View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2023, 4:47 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Project assembly guides

I don't tend to bother with PCBs, they are fine for production applications but in my case I tend to make lots of modifications to circuits as the project evolves.

I like the little etched boards that have islands of copper on a standard 0.1 inch pitch, some islands being groups of three or five holes linked. Wire-wrap pins or DIL sockets soldered to this, then wire-wrap for the interconnecting 'traces' allows for easy modification. Works OK up to around 30MHz for logic circuits using TTL.

My other technique is to cut small squares of single-sided FR4 and glue them to the copper-side of a bigger chunk of copperclad as a groundplane, then wire components to these squares/the groundplane. You can do things like using a long strip rather than a square to produce power-rails, and holes drilled in the groundplane to take feedthrough insulators/capacitors as needed.

For small-valve stuff [B7/B8/B9 glass valves and up to the smaller Octals] I use double-sided FR4, cutting the holes with one of the stepped conical drills, and solder the metal lugs of the valve-socket directly to the board; this saves the hassle of drilling holes and fiddling around with 6BA tags/nuts/bolts/washers. Again you've got a good groundplane to solder the earthy ends of components to.