View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2023, 10:02 pm   #1
Sgt_oddball
Diode

Default Sony Wega wiggling out...

So after acquiring a piece of mid-90's dream TV in the form of a Sony KV-32FQ86u (65Kgs of 32" wide-screen CRT goodness) in "working" condition and getting it home I set about trying to see if the service menus would help with the colours' alignment, nothing too unusual just blue not aligned to the red, not aligned to the green so a nice halo effect on text.

Anyways, whilst adjusting the geometry I got a very blueish screen then darkness followed by 8 flashing lights. Joy... Turn it off and back on again? Nope still 8 red flashes.

Reading the service manual states it's a horizontal protection issue but doesn't give anything on how to resolve this.

So my question is, can it be saved? How do I go about saving it or is it likely to be internal components going funky? (I'm not afraid to change capacitors/resistors and the like but some advice on if I need to go that far would be good).

And yes I'm new to the forum because I'm hoping someone, somewhere might have an idea on how to get it going again.

(FYI I do have the original remote with it so can enter the service menus et al, along with playing with other options when I can see them, I'm also aware that a Sony TRACE kit might be of assistance but odds of finding one in the UK anywhere near Leeds is... Optimistic? I know eBay has one for sale but it's 200 freedom dollars + shipping so not exactly an impulse purchase for the only time I'd need it).