View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2017, 12:27 am   #56
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Looking for help please with 1964 Trio W-41 stereo valve amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMills View Post
in the mean time could I trouble you for another pic of the underside wiring, but a lot sharper image please? I'd love to be able to zoom in on photoshop and read it better. chuck plenty of light at it if you can. do you use a smart phone for pictures? they are pretty high resolution these days, just a bit tricky to get to focus on detail at times.
thank you!
Hi Tim,
Vintage electronics I can just about manage, but start mentioning words like 'smartphone' & 'photoshop' and my eyes just glaze over I'm pretty impressed that I can actually take a picture and get it uploaded onto the forum at all!! You've seen my level of CAD expertise
I'll try and take a better picture sometime tomorrow in the daylight. From what I could see of your amp in the picture, quite a few bits have been replaced.

Personally, I like to use modern components that at least look something like the originals. Most caps these days are meant for PCB's so have the leads coming out the bottom (like the tiny new one in your picture). The yellow caps on the Cricklewood site are much more suitable for old gear and are good quality. They usually come in 600 or 1000V rating which is enough for most things. It doesn't matter if you have a higher voltage rating than was originally fitted. Search for 'axial' capacitors which have a lead out of each end.
Farnell, CPC, and RS are also very useful for resistors and axial caps, but you will find you can't get everything from one place.
RS are particularly good as they don't have a minimum order so you can order 10 resistors which will be dispatched the same day with free carriage!
RS also do a nice looking range of resistors which look OK in old gear. A modern 1/4 W resistor looks silly as it's too small.

In view of the motley collection of bits in your amp, I would be inclined to give it a complete overhaul- replace any resistors which are too far out of spec with appropriate modern ones and various caps, again with nice looking ones.
You will then have an amp which will look nice underneath and work as it should. It will also give your new valves the best lifespan. It's not necessary or desirable to change every cap: only certain types in certain positions.
Over the next few days I'll come up with a list of caps that I would change and also where to source suitable replacements. I'll dig out the details of the RS range of resistors as well.

Could you also take a hi res picture of the underside of your amp- I can't quite see what has been changed.
All the best
Nick