View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2017, 2:39 pm   #51
TimMills
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Looking for help please with 1964 Trio W-41 stereo valve amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
As regards to your actual phono preamp fault, I would suggest the following checks which will prove the switching and wiring. We'll concentrate on the right hand channel which uses V2. This is more accessible as it doesn't have as many components crammed over it!

The following is done with the amp UNPLUGGED

1) Insert a lead with a phono plug on the end into the RH 'phono' input jack.
2) Set selector on front panel to 'phono'.
3) Work out which is pin 7 on V2.
4) Measure continuity (0 ohms on your meter) between the input lead (inserted in 1 above) and pin 7.

This will prove that signals will get from the input jack to the input (pin7 grid) of the preamp via the selector switch.

The next test will verify the wiring & switching between the output of the preamp and V3.

1) In picture 2, one end of C104 (a 0.1 mfd wax covered cap) goes to a piece of tagstrip and a yellow wire. Point 1 in picture 2.
2) On picture 3, look at the wiring on the balance control and find point 'A'.
3)Set front panel selector to 'Phono'.
4) Set 'tape monitor' switch to 'off'.
5) Set 'mono/ stereo' switch to 'stereo'.
You should now get continuity between point '1' and point 'A'.
This will verify the wiring/ switching between the output of the phono preamp and V3.

I hope you can make some sense of my drawings but if you need any clarification, please ask!
I also note that your amp looks much more shiny and non rusty than mine: but then it probably hasn't been stored in my damp loft for 20 years!!
This is excellent help Nick!
I'm hopefully going to have time to make these checks over the weekend, but it's a bit of a busy one..

in the mean time could I trouble you for another pic of the underside wiring, but a lot sharper image please? I'd love to be able to zoom in on photoshop and read it better. chuck plenty of light at it if you can. do you use a smart phone for pictures? they are pretty high resolution these days, just a bit tricky to get to focus on detail at times.
thank you!