View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 1:44 pm   #84
TopTip
Triode

Default Re: Ferrograph 4A: Restoration advice needed

I am about to start restoring my 4A and this thread has been a great read and resource.

However, this is also about the 14th or 15th reel to reel that I am renovating. So I learned any number of tips and tricks along the way.

One I learned too late (into my 10th machine perhaps?) is to install a hidden switch and jack (a mini-DIN works well) to provide a direct output from the playback head. This is frankly what every turntable has / is and the very first tape machines also do.

Here is why. What is the most likely operation on a tape recorder? Record tapes? Not really, not that often. First, there are better recorders and also you record once, playback many times. Then there are pre-recorded tapes.

Now, no matter how well restored, the electro-mechanical construct that the tape recorder is, will occasionally act up. One channel gets lost or has low signal. There may be hum. Bypassing all the internal electronics and using an external preamp is, in such instances, a blessing.

Question is, where do you find a “tape reproduce preamp”? There are only 2-3 on the market and, just like everything low volume / hifi these days, they cost a lot. There are a few old ones on eBay. Alternatively I have modified “moving coil” turntable preamps, to change the RIAA curve to something closer to tape playback. These are plentiful and good ones can be had for way below £100.