View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2019, 1:08 am   #70
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Ferrograph 4A: Restoration advice needed

The tape guides are threaded polished rods, so they sit through holes in the plate until the threaded shoulder is pulled up against the plate by the nut below. It doesn't look like there's any adjustment unless washers are used. I'll eye it along and see what's what.

I'm confused by the auto-stop and apparently my lack of it. The switch shown in the manual is much larger than my block, which is just two contacts with no switch mechanism.

There's a mention that the erase head is also an auto-stop switch, but that relies on a pressure arm that differs from the one I have by consisting of a moulded L-shape that slips into the erase head when not prevented from doing so by tape. There doesn't seem to be any connection for this to do anything on my erase head, so it could just be that the arm is allowed to travel when the tape end passes by, and that movement trips the switch that should be under the plate.

Attached are pictures of what I have in place of the switch, and what the manual shows (bottom middle of the 'underside' picture; labelled).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190318_212118.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	180436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190325_233332.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	180437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferrograph_Underside002.jpg
Views:	108