View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2017, 12:31 pm   #17
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Re: Radio shops in Tottenham Court road.

Pure Nostalgia

Plus a fair bit of annoyance at not buying the stuff that was new RAF 'Surplus' at the time. Could do with it now!

I lived in South London and Dad worked on the buses and the Underground so I thought nothing of getting the bus/tube to Edware Road and Lisle Street (not so much Tottenham Court Road as the was boring modern radio stuff)

I remember Henrys Radio as being double fronted with a counter full of compartments with components in. There was an old guy with sticking out white hair who was always there serving. Brown paper bags for your 'goodies'.

We bought our 3in oscilloscope tube from Z&Is and I would scan their catalogue for days thinking about all the odd phosphors and scope tube types they had on offer and were stacked in cardboard boxes on the shelves.

Have fun going up the Goodge Street scary automatic lift and you could stare through the windows of Mullards in Torrington Place, so state of the art.

Somewhere on the Edgeware Road we bought spray cans of 'crackle' paint for our Practical Electronics Oscilloscope. I think that I went in the cinema to see Midnight Cowboy.

Happy Days!