View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2017, 8:19 pm   #8
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: Radio shops in Tottenham Court road.

Hi again,

I was using my mobile phone before, which is very fiddly to use for posting here. I'm on my laptop now, so I'll tell the story I eluded to earlier above.

In 1969, the engineering and tech. drawing teachers at our school arranged a trip to the model engineering exhibition at ( i think ) Olympia. In the afternoon the teachers said we could go off and do what we liked, as long as we were back for 5pm, so I decided to go to Tottenham Court Road. Some of the other kids decided to tag along, as they had nothing better to do, even though they had no interest in radio.

We all went on the tube and emerged from the station. If i recal correctly, that Magic shop in the photo was very close to the station and as we crossed the road, it was right in front of us. I left the other kids looking in the Magic shop window while i went a few yards up the road to one of the electronics/radio shops. There were a few customers waiting to be served and, after a few minutes, i noticed one of the kids come into the shop and stand around at the back for a little while before leaving again. I was about to be served and said to the assistant, "Can I have a...." but was interupted by a City gent, complete with bowler hat and brief case, who said, "POO", whilst looking accusingly at me. I realised that the kid who'd been lurking at the back had dropped a newly purchased stink bomb!

I can't remember to this day if i completed my purchase or made a quick exit.

All the best

Aub