View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2020, 3:04 pm   #41
ChrisThomas
Triode

Default Re: Analogue electronics books recommendations

Thanks Al...
My maths isn't too bad, having done a couple of OU maths courses a few years ago (and I still have all my notes). These cover up to basic calculus, functions and trig/geometry, all of which come in useful. I have an American book - 'Hands-on Electronics' which is designed by physicists and has a very practical approach (if you have the right breadboard, signal generator and oscilloscope - things I've yet to get), but includes some useful maths for RC circuits etc - e.g. explains why voltage lags current in an RC circuit, and the different configurations of simple low- and high-pass filters. The thing for me is to understand these and other circuit units in practical circuits, and how to break a schematic down into functional blocks, etc., etc. The schematic for the Bush I have is pretty good in this respect, despite its outward complexity for a beginner like me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Tranent? I've been regularly round to Lasswade (for horsey reasons) and I could have loaned you a variety of books to have a look at to see what worked for you. Everything from Fred Terman's books, the Admiralty Wireless handbooks, RSGB, ARRL, Wes Hayward's intro to RF design, AoE. But that's on hold until travel advisories relax.
Many thanks David...yes, maybe we'll get chance at some point! I think I will get Art of Electronics, though, since it is the most widely recommended and sounds like it will give me the grounding I need.