View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2020, 5:50 pm   #20
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Re: Another Bush DAC 10

Thanks to everyone for their helpful and informative responses - much appreciated.

Firstly, I have confirmed that I do indeed have a double pole switch installed - when switched off, both the Live and the Neutral are disconnected and vice versa. I'll swap round these connections from the plug to the switch later on but will heed Herald1360's sensible advice to treat " ... the set as live unless it's physically disconnected from the mains."

Secondly, I note that there are different views on removal of the Tuning Unit, as expected, but appreciate that the level of skills and expertise you guys have is probably way beyond my own. I made a start by replacing some of the easier components at one end of the tag board including R13 (28% over), C23 the Audio Coupling capacitor and C22 the I.F. Filter capacitor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DAC10 - R13,C23,C22.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	202889

A bit of a challenge (for me) to get these fitted and don't think I'll win any prizes in the Elegant Soldering Competition!

Thirdly, I appreciate that most if not all of the paper tubular caps and some of the resistors will also have to be replaced but I like to replace and test one at a time as I go. Difficult to progress any further with these as I have the set disassembled so I can put back any decision on the Tuning Unit removal to a later date. Those other components further along the tag board do look challenging!

Plenty to do meantime in the cleaning department and even more wiring to replace. I have a section of Paxolin to cut and then reassemble the dropper and all its associated connections - hope I took enough pictures?!