View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2019, 3:59 pm   #1
Goodizzy
Pentode

Smile A few fusing questions on UK gear here in the US

Good morning-

I'm attempting to stockpile mains AC fuses for all the early UK transistor receivers and amps I have. (Leak, Armstrong, Rogers, etc.) As I am in the US and all my equipment has several primary PT taps, I run all on 120V. The majority use 5x20mm fuses.

Instead of replacing the BS1362 plugs with non-fused US 3-prong cords, I have been keeping these in place and running them into an appropriate Euro/UK surge protector. Most have various sized fuses from 3A up to 13A across hot in the BS1362 plug.. Since we don't fuse plugs here in the US, is there a particular current rating I should use? 3A, 5A, etc.? I assume these should be HBC ceramic fuses as well? And they are the larger, 6x30mm fuses?

I have read the sticky on fuses and while I am no professional I believe I have somewhat a grasp on the electronics behind it. I understand the plug fuses to only be there to protect the wire from receptacle to appliance in case of fire, so I would like to protect this valuable equipment as much as possible!

My only concern is the difference in grounding and wiring in the US vs. UK. Any input would be greatly appreciated Regards,

Chris