View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2018, 1:01 pm   #32
mjddewet
Triode

Default Re: My long awaited outdoor AM aerial

Having read through this thread, reminded me of an anecdote once told me by a garage owner in the town where I grew up.

In the early 1920's, a Sir Charles Leonard imported a pair of kerosene engined plowing 'engines' for his wheat farm. These engines were based on the same concept as the steam traction engines, but fitted with internal combustion engines. The engines were shipped to South Africa, with a commissioning mechanic coming with. After the demise of the engines, Mr Christopher Ferrandi moved to the nearby town of Villiersdorp, where he opened up a motor garage.

He did not only sell and service motor cars, trucks and such, but also started selling 'wireless' sets.

His modus operandi was this: He knew that every afternoon after 5:30, the SABC's Cape Town service would play 'boeremusiek', featuring the concertina, accordion, violin, banjo and guitar in waltzes, polkas, etc, and this was a 'hit' with the local Afrikaans folk.

He'd charge a 6V car battery during the day, and then see to it that by 5 o'clock in the afternoon, he'd have his horse-cart all ready, put a radio, battery and a good length of aerial wire on the back, and on a leasurely trot set off for a nearby farm. Once he got to the farm, the aerial wire was quickly looped up into a bluegum tree (eucalyptus), the battery connected and the radio switched on. He'd then tune to the Cape Town station, waiting for the music to start up.

His son Derrick told me: 'You know, the old man never came back with a radio'.

Part of the deal was that the new owner of the radio also bought a 'charged' 6V battery. When the battery went flat, he could come and exchange it for a fully charged one from mr Ferrandi.

Ferrandi's Garage remained in business till 1997 when a new owner sadly 'managed' it into bankruptcy.