View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2010, 11:30 am   #17
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: Mullard 3 watt amp - gobsmacked !

I've just completed a 3-3 stereo amp and whilst still not entirely satisfied that I've got it to its peak, the results are so far very impressive and fully justify my memories - back in the 1950s, a friend built a kit version which, in modern parlance, blew me away.

In the later 50s when stereo came about, I built my first stereo amp around twin 3-3s. This amp worked superbly for many years until I passed it on in the late 60s (or possibly early 70s) to a colleague at a firm I worked for. He had the amp for many years before he too passed it on to another. It gave sterling service and I can recommend anyone thinking of building a valve amp but unsure of performance to go ahead, just get the best transformers you can find. These do not come cheap, however, in these days of plastic and microchip.

Great thread, this. Thanks to all and especially Terry for the Radio Constructor files. These throw an interesting light on the design, as the differences he mentions are in fact more than subtle! I'll get around to trying them out.
-Tony