View Single Post
Old 14th May 2019, 5:17 pm   #14
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Childhood memories of radios.

Our family had a K.B "Gavotte" radio when we lived in east Leeds in the early 1960's. It had a light blue colour, and is now very rare.
My mother's auntie and uncle had a Philips 834A Superinductance radio from when they got married in 1933. My memories of it date back from the 1950's and early 1960's. It must have cost a vast amount of money in those distant times, reckon someone must have bought them it as a present. A relative cleared her possessions out in the 1990's when she died (aged 94 years). I always remember uncle listening to plays on the radio about Edgar Allen Poe (quite sinister). My dad repaired it for them at some point in the 1960's.
My maternal grandparents had a Ferguson 382U "Firefly" radio when they lived in Suffolk in the early 1960's. I can remember it playing songs by Perry Como, Kathy Kirby and so forth.
When they lived in Stockport, Cheshire previously they had a HMV radiogram (pre war model). I can remember a record called "Davy Crockett" (can not remember the artist), but it was bought for my cousin when he was a small lad. When this record was purchased it came with a Davy Crockett hat. It is ironic that many years later, my cousin now lives near the Alamo in San Antonio Texas (what that record was all about).