View Single Post
Old 9th May 2020, 4:14 pm   #29
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Servisol substitutes ideas?

Almost all switch cleaning can cause some problems if you’re not careful. In days of old when Radiospares cleaner was supplied in metal cans with a conical top and metal spout I’ve seen several accidents caused by the metal spout coming in contact with mains supplies or fully charged capacitors. The cleaner was the stuff that smelled like when you walk past a dry cleaners. Can’t think of its name. That would dry out rubbery components and leave a white film on them.
Modern switch cleaners are safer but you still need to be careful. They are not only cleaners but contain a lubricant as well. Only use a small amount and don’t let the spray go where you don’t want it. Often I spray a little into a tin lid and use a wooden cocktail stick to place a drop exactly where needed. It’s no wonder my cans last me a long time as I don’t waste 90% sloshing it around. Never spray valve holders as the residue will attract dirt and cause leakage between pins. If you want to lubricate the pins apply a small amount to the valve pin and work it by putting the valve in and out a few times.