View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2018, 11:56 pm   #1
ct92404
Pentode

Question Star Gemini-10 printer

I recently found a Star Gemini-10 dot matrix printer. I wanted to hook it up to my Tandy 200 computer. Unfortunately, I'm having some weird problems with the printer, and I can't even find any information about this specific model. I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

When I first got the printer, it did respond but wasn't actually printing text even after I put in a new ink ribbon. I cleaned the print head and now it is printing...but there's another bizarre problem. When I had the printer do a self-test, it looks like it's printing two characters together, one on top of the other! What I mean is that it looks like two lines are getting run together. The platen does turn and the paper seems to be advancing the way it's supposed to. So I don't understand what's happening. It also has the same problem when I try to print text from the Tandy 200.

I'm wondering if a dip switch is set wrong or (hopefully not) a chip in the printer is bad.

I haven't had any luck trying to find a manual for this specific printer. I found ones for the Gemini-10x, but not mine. Mine is just a Gemini-10, not a 10X. The 10X looks nearly identical to mine, but the manual for that one refers to dip switches that this printer doesn't seem to have. I've looked everwhere on it and even took off the cover and I've only found one set of switches.

Does anyone know anything about this printer and what might be wrong? I really like the fact that it uses an ordinary typewriter ribbon which is surprisingly easy to get. I really hope I can get it to work.

- Chris