View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2021, 5:50 pm   #41
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: "Converting" 4:3 to 16:9 (Aspect Ratios)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I'm looking at all sorts of things all the time [eg TPTV/ BBC4/CH5/Ch4/Blaze etc etc ] I'm often keen to see the material in any sort of format or aspect, as an amateur Archivist but I understand the irritation. It can become an obsession though! In the sixties the BBC wouldn't screen even scoop "live" news 8mm film material because it didn't meet the "standards" yet Derek Jarman produced successful feature films in the eighties using the same gauge blown up. Then hand held Sony Videocams were pioneered by CH4 changing the rules for everybody-although with the right aspect no doubt. Mobile phone footage complies with nothing as far as I can judge! It's nice to "see" things done "properly" perhaps but most people aren't so discriminating and would probably agree with Mrs [Spam] Fritter [post 25]. Or is that "Pan Fritter" I'm more concerned about "graduates", "celebrities" or officials who say "like" or "obviously" every twenty seconds because they can't manage to string a sentence together!

Dave W
Until the 1960s 16mm film 'didn't meet the standards' either to the TV engineering fraternity as source material..once these standards were relaxed..it saw the emergence of programmes like 'World in Action' where controversial subjects could be quickly filmed and put together with the budget being used for things like travel rather than bulky 35mm equipment and film stock. They also used 8mm film (blown up) to film in dangerous and covert situations.